Thursday, June 23, 2011

I will have my cake and eat it too!

So I got all these awesome shower gifts at my bridal shower two weeks ago. My sisters flew in to help and oh man was it amazing. All of Chances family came too! I love family. I never grew up with family close to Wichita. Everyone was spread out, and by the time I was 5, my sister was going to college....so we have always been separated by states and states! But getting grown up and spending time with my parents and with Chance's family has really taught me how important family is and how special it can be. It has pushed me to spend more time with my mom and dad and realize how amazing they are and how much I still need to learn from them. I am blessed to at least have my mom and dad in town! And Chance's family is within the state! So I am excited to get married, and get traveling! I want to see my sisters and their families WAY more. Like WAYYY more. I love my nieces and nephews sooo much and I am going to see them grow up dangit! Anyway, I didnt take any pictures of the shower because, well...I was busy smiling and trying not to look fat in other peoples pictures. HA! But my sisters took pictures so I will have to get those from them.

ANYWAY....My two sisters gave me a sweet themed gift for my shower. If you know me, you know I love themes. And putting thought into gifts. I mean, how fun! So they got me a couple cake pans off my registry, fun spatulas, my cupcake carrier, icing and cake of course....and I also got a beautiful cake displayer. That is SO not what it's called. Cake display? Cake holder? Glass cake display? Dangit. SO not a housewife yet. And I also got some fun decorating tools. So last night Chance and I realized we hadn't used any of our gifts! So Chance started finding random excuses to use things. We needed coffee so we could use our new mugs, then wine to use our electric opener, then I decided it would be fun to use all my dessert stuff to make a layer cake:)

So here are the goods:


My favorite part of cooking, which I thought I would grow out of, and have not....is the eating uncooked batter. Man I am immature. But I would rather have a spoonful of batter than the cake itself. Thought that was a "kid" thing. Turns out I'm still a kid or it is also an adult thing. The jury is still out. So here is me eating the rest of what's in the bowl. Totally on my wedding diet by the way.


And Chance and me taking our first "We opened shower gifts and used them!" picture together.


So I used the two cake pans to make a double layer cake. I went all fancy and used normal yellow cake mix and frosting from the store. I am soooooo desperate housewives;) Here is the order of events. Started with one layer, notice my cake display....then added frosting and strawberries to the middle, then doubled the cake, then frosted again, then sprinkles. DUH...of course sprinkles. Then cut, add more strawberries, and eat! Well Chance ate, I mostly sat and gave Harley some of my piece...Harley may or may not get fat before my wedding. I usually give her a lot of what I am eating so I don't eat it. That might explain her weight gain....I don't know for sure.










So yes I just blogged about a cake baking experience. I think this is what you're supposed to blog about before kids, right? ;) My sisters are going to laugh because they are such great moms and make like 7 layer rainbow cakes for their kids and I used um....Betty crocker and some strawberries for mine! I'm working on it girls! I'm taking baby steps! So shower gifts are being used....and I'm on the verge of freaking out because I have 8 weeks left! I should PROBABLY send out invites instead of make cakes tonight.

No comments: