Saturday, August 14, 2010

A little catching up...

Well I suppose nothing especially thrilling is going on here in little ole Wichita (or the “big city” as Chance’s Ellinwood friends call it), but although there is nothing thrilling, there is a lot of goings on that have apparently kept me away from blogging. I promise that I will try harder! I have been super busy because my position within the office has changed and I am working more within the office. I have a new corner office (with windows!) and now I only work with kids 10 hours a week and the rest of my time is spent doing paperwork, shopping for the store, or running the store. Oh ya, the “store” is “Point City”. The kids that are involved in our services earn points each time they participate in group and then every other week they are able to come spend their points at my store. So it’s pretty neat to be able to shop for toys and candy that I think the kiddos might enjoy. Sometimes I have to ask if stuff is “cool” or not still. I mean, I still think fun dips are bomb…but are they still? Turns out yes:)

I also am in charge of planning a monthly activity for everyone to show up to, helping keep our memberships up with zoos, museums, and the YMCAs, and we have an activity room up in the office that I have to maintain. Stuff like keeping snacks constant, buying new games, or finding other activities for the kids to participate in. It turns out that my week is really busy, but I kinda like being busy! Well enough about my job that I wish involved a raise (instead I am just taking advantage of more stability). I did brighten up the office, because it was AWFUL before. The kids felt like they were walking in to an abandoned dollar general with three toys on the shelf when they came in. I decided to stock those shelves and add some color. The only problem with adding color was that there is this big wallpaper-type mural on one of my walls. It is of the New York skyline. I mean, it’s kinda fun to have, but it’s really difficult to match colors with. So I chose orange and green. I wanted it to be kid and gender friendly. Everyone seems to love it so far! Here are a few pictures:)








Oh…you will also notice the AMAZING arrangement of flowers on my desk. I’ll give you one guess who they’re from. Yup…Chance. Sweetest frikin guy I ever met. No girl loves anything more than having all the office ladies jealous when a delivery guy brings those to ME! That’s right, those are from MY MAN. Sorry YOUR man isn’t thoughtful and amazing. Anyway…I’m very humble. Here is a close up of them. Notice how they ALSO match my office colors!




Ok, that whole job thing was boring, but I was pretty proud of my decorating skills and Chance and I were up til 1:30 AM making those curtains. I say “we” because he was definitely my moral support while I was taking the easy way out and using that hem tape stuff for the ends. And he was in charge of holding the 18 ft of material while I ironed it all. We were going crazy and fighting over stupid stuff like whose side of the hem was straighter. But I kept telling him how we only had to do this ONCE and then we could be done forever. That made him feel better.

Other newsies: Chance took me to see "Curtains" at the Music Theater of Wichita. It was so good!

Chance actually really likes plays and musicals :) So we had a really great time on a special date! We got dressed up and ate out with my mom's best friend, Cheryl. I call her Aunt Cordry because she was there at my birth and has basically been my second mom:) She is an amazing woman and super good at everything I'm NOT (aka gardening and cooking). But I try to learn as much as I can from her. Anyway, we went out on the town and got off Chance's comfy couch for once!
Last weekend Chance's parents came into town to see his apartment for the first time. They liked it:)...which made me happy. We had so much fun picking out everything for his place and it turns out that I love decorating! I think I was an interior decorator in a past life...
We went out to eat and spent some quality time with his parents in Wichita. It was so nice that they came into town! I know Chance misses his family a lot and even though they only live a short distance from here, we don't get to Ellinwood as often as we'd like. We try to go about once a month. Regardless, it was really nice to show them around town and catch up:)
So that's about it for now...I PROMISE that I will be trying to keep up a little better! For now, Chance and I are making our way through the Office seasons. We can't get enough of them even after seeing them a million times. He makes fun of me for the fact that after the second season when Jim tries to get with Pam and she says she's getting married to Roy I was bawling....don't judge me.

4 comments:

MA mom said...

You're good at putting things together in a way that looks good
....clothes, rooms, offices. I can find about one thing..then I can't find anything to go with it!
Good job on the flowers, Chance!

The Haddons said...

Neat office Katie.You did a good job helping Chance decorate his apartment,too.The flowers were really neat to,and matched perfectly. Good job Chance. It's good to here that you help Katie out once in awhile too.

Anonymous said...

Girl! It is about time you gave us an update! On the way back from Albuquerque, the pilot announced that we were flying over Witchita and I thought of you! I love what you did with the office. I am also very jealous of the NYC skyline. NYC happens to be my favorite city! Anyhow, I look forward to the next post/chapter in your life!

chicago_mom said...

Cute office! nice flowers!