Monday, July 5, 2010

Fireworks...KS style

Well we went home for the fourth of July. Home to Ellinwood that is. Chance would like me to add that they affectionately call it Ellin-HOOD. Oh ya...I caved and told Chance about the blog. I kept it secret for almost 3 hours! He was super happy and said he's always wanted to blog about something, but I mean, how do you blog about computers. Come on. Ok so some of the blogs he will be sitting in on. He is totally pumped to take videos as often as we can and post them for viewing pleasure. Here is our first ever Vlog...yup, I said vlog. I think that's what kids are calling that these days. Right? This was a video we took when we got to Newton to visit his cousins. It's pretty short, just Chance lighting a couple fireworks and avoiding disaster. So Bon appetite.



So the big event of the weekend was me getting to experience the combine. Well let me tell you something exciting. I did not just ride in a combine, I drove it. And by drive I mean I accelerated with this stick thing and used the big steering wheel like a bus driver. It was pretty much awesome and I pretty much know how to farm now. I am totally a pro. I'm also pretty confident I could drive that thing in heels. Here is me riding (notice me cheesing because I was so pumped) and then a couple Chance took while I was driving.




His dad said I should go ahead and put in my application for next harvest. Oh, also...I saw the hugest toad I've ever seen. I just had to ask Chance if it was a frog or a toad cuz I have no idea what the difference is. So anyway...I was going to attempt to pretend to give it a little kiss (ya know...to get my prince) but the fro...toad was not cooperating. It was HUGE...LOOK!


This little guy was outside of the Legion. The Legion is this super trashy bar that all the local old men go and talk politics and farming with eachother...ok maybe they just sit around and drink and talk about their wives. Either way, it is super fun and we stopped in to see Chance's dad and a couple of his friends. They were a hoot. His dad's friend "Joe Joe" was REAL friendly. Haha. He read my tshirt in great detail. Harmless I'm sure;) Anyway...super fun and oh my goodness how I am beginning to love small town-ness. Probably too much in fact. I'm almost to the point where one of these times I'm just not going to come back to Wichita. I could TOTALLY farm.....well maybe. Chance thinks I might just make a better farmer than him. I don't really believe that though. He has it in his blood. The closest my family comes to farming or sweating as a job is my dad owning a riding lawn mower.

Well we went and got WAY too many fireworks. Chance's dad informed me that it was a small amount compared to past years. Something else you need to know about Chance is that he is a spoiled brat. He pretty much gets whatever he wants. Always. It's obnoxious. He went around and threw in fireworks and we boxed em up and took them home to blow up. Also did I mention I think I like trucks? I think I might like to have one. But it took like three tries for me to get up into the drivers seat so maybe I couldn't handle it. We spent the afternoon of the fourth blowing up tanks and having wars over who could make the most things blow up. It was super fun and super hot. But although I HATE sweating so much, I seem to not be aware of how disgusting I am out there in no where ville. I am constantly drenched but we just don't seem to be too concerned over it. "Drenched in sweat and fireworks dust kiss."

We also got to ride his parents Harley. It is a trike, and for those of you who aren't informed in the biker world, that means a motorcycle with two wheels in the back and one in the front. It is so fun and I think I want to trade mine in for one. It is so much easier! Here is an older pic of us riding it (notice my super bikerish bandanna around my head...it is his dads...I am also wearing his mom's leather jacket and fingerless gloves).

We are so hardcore;)
Well we will leave you with a video from the fireworks we were next to at his cousins house. We shot off our own but the mexican neighbors had over 6000 dollars worth of explosives so we kinda just watched theirs the whole night. I'm surprised we survived to be honest. There were about a dozen mexicans all lighting big fireworks on the count of three the whole night. This video is only about a minute, but it went on just like this for more than a few hours. It was RI-DICULOUS.

6 comments:

chicago_mom said...

"I could totally farm" is my favorite quote. It would be funny if you ended up being a farmer. Sammy would think you were very cool. I'll have to meet this Chance guy some day...

MA mom said...

I just hope Chance's family has plenty of insurance on that combine!! Scary pictures in my mind of you at the controls. You already think you're a pro...

The Whites said...

"at least I'll have it on tape" hahaha I haven't heard the words "on tape" in a few years. What does your cell phone record onto? A tiny vhs? ;-) har har har

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous that you got to go in a combine! I have always wanted to do that and ride a zamboni...you're a hoot; glad we've connected via our blogs!

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah--a toad lives on dry land and not near a habitat-ish water source (like a pond, river, lake, etc.). A frog lives near a water source. :)

ohio12 said...

Ellie says it is a toad!